Appendix B

William Stuart Brighton Journal




I was born September 24 (although William Stuart thought he was born 24 September, his christening record indicates a 26 of September birth date) in the year 1829, the son of Robert Brighton, in the town of Overtown, parish of Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire, in the Kingdom of Scotland.

At six, I was sent to school and was kept at it till I was nearly ten years of age. At this time I was put to work in the coal mines with my father in Calder Ironworks. After working there ten months, I moved with my father to a place called Plasecraig where we worked for about two months. We then worked at a place called Gartsherrie where we remained a good long time. It was at a place called Meadhead that I first heard the name Latter-day Saints (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Mormons, etc.), but I learned nothing of the doctrine of the Church until I moved from that place to Airdrie where I went to work in Gartlee (this is correct spelling).

I had been in Airdrie some time when I heard a conversation between two men at my work concerning religion. One was a Latter-day Saint, and thus, I became acquainted with Peter Moffet. He invited me to come to a meeting, which I did, and I heard him preach on the first principles. I believed his testimony that angels had visited the earth again. When I returned home I told my father what Brother Moffet had said, referring him to some passages of scripture. A few days later my father was baptized. I was unwell that night, but it was only a short time later, in February 1844, that I was baptized by Brother Peter Moffet. (William was 14 years old at the time of his baptism. He was confirmed 20 February 1844.)

I was rebaptized on the 16th of January 1849 in Holytown by my father (a common practice in the early Church) and confirmed on the 21st by William Livingston, President of the Branch of the Church there. I subscribed 5 shillings to help clear a sum of debt owed by the Branch at the time I joined the Church.

I worked for a period in Motherwell, but stayed a very short time owing to bad working conditions and low wages. We next moved to a place called Auchinairn where there was a newly organized Branch. About the time we arrived, my father was appointed to be Branch President by Brother Kailey. Some six weeks later my father and I went to our work between 8 and 9 o'clock at night on the 10th of April, 1849. We were working at the time in a pit about 10 fathoms deep. As we prepared to go down, and my father was standing in the cage, the "snaks" were drawn to permit the winch to lower the platform. Someone had left the engine out of gear, and father fell to the bottom at a very great speed. I knew not whether he was killed or not for a good long time, but he finally gave us a signal and we got him up. He was severely hurt, his leg broken in two places and his body crushed, rendering him, therefore, unable to provide for himself and family.

I was, fortunately, blessed with regular work and good wages during that time which enabled me to go back to Holytown and pay a five shilling debt there, as well as take care of the family.

I was then but young and easily led into sin, but my father taught me to remember the name I bore and to be more select in the company I kept. After putting my life in order, I was appointed by my father to be a Deacon and to serve as his counselor, and I was ordained by Brother Harson Burges in Glasgow on the 30th of September 1849. I served as deacon for three months when I was thought worthy of holding a higher office. This I received on the 6th of January 1850, being ordained by David Hutchison to the office of Teacher.

I discharged my dates faithfully with a very few exceptions during three months when I was ordained to the office of Priest under the hands of David Hutchison on the 7th of April 1850. I was appointed to labor with Brother David Hutchison in preaching and distributing tracts which I did faithfully, going to all farm houses between Auchinairn and Christtown over a period of about six months, during which time I baptized a few families and did all I could to gain the confidence of God and his servants.

During that time I was again counted worthy to be advanced in the Priesthood and it was proposed, seconded and carried in counsel that I should be raised to the office of Elder. I was ordained on the 22nd day of September 1850 by Elder David Hutchison in my bed in which I was lying unwell. My illness continued for three weeks, a most disagreeable time owing to my mother's bad condition and my own illness. However, I was encouraged by the saints and by my intended wife, Catherine Bow, born on October 9, 1825 (Record of Catherine, found in parish register recorded her birth 9 Oct 1825 rather than 3 Oct 1828 as recorded on death certificate) at Torrance, Campsie Parish, Stirlingshire, Scotland, who came and saw me some two or three times during my illness.

Throughout this period I realized the goodness of God tome was great, and from then on I felt more determined to serve my Father in Heaven. I recovered after three weeks and was again able to go to work and visit my Love in return. Brother Hutchison and I stopped our missionary labors when winter came, for we had no hall to preach in but were compelled to stand in the streets and before people's doors.

I called on my sweetheart from time to time, and we were married on the 31st day of December 1850 by Brother Joseph Clemonts, Brother Robert Campbell being best man. Following the marriage, we rejoiced through the night, Elder Barton being one of our guests. When morning came we were up early and on our way home to Auchinairn.

We were very happy for a time, but within a few days my father took very badly and died, this being the 25th of January, 1851. He was buried on the 27th. I mourned his loss although I rejoiced to know that he died a faithful man of God. Shortly after this I was appointed to take charge of a district known as Cawder Row, Limhill & Canale Row, where I labored during the summer company with Priest Joseph Chrams for a short time. I afterwards worked with John Morton and we labored very diligently during the summer.

Our first daughter was born on the 17th of December 1851, being eleven months and 17 days after I was married. On March 25, 1852, I was appointed to be president of this Branch by Brother Robert Campbell upon the approval of the general conference held in Glasgow. Our rejoicing continued during the first three months, teaching the Saints their duties and giving instructions to the officers concerning their varied places of preaching and collecting money for Church business. There was collected: for the temple 15/3; perpetual emigration fund 1/21; Conference Fund 8/6; for the Mission 10/6; President Lyon's traveling expenses 4/3; for other traveling Elders 4/6.

My missionary preaching to the world continued as well as teaching the Saints the principles of righteousness.

On the 2nd of October 1852, I gave my report to the delegates meeting. I went to a soiree in the evening and had a happy night. The next day being Sunday, I went again to conference, being the second day of it, and rejoiced much in what was said by Brothers Campbell and Richards. Conference was again held Monday, the third day in the lysion rooms and we were much edified by what was said by Brother Campbell, Spencer, Young, and Lyon.

On January 4, 1852, I wrote to Brother Campbell at Auchinairn as follows:

Dear Bro. Campbell,
I send these few lines to you to let you know my feelings with regard to emigration. I have dreamed about it and fasted and prayed to my Father in Heaven that my brethren in the priesthood might take me out of this land and send me to where I might learn more and do more for the gathering together of my oppressed brethren. Dear Brother, I have done all I could for this work under the present state of things; however, I count it all as nothing when I look at what has been done for me. I had one source in the world and I tried it but it failed. Yet, I feel to put all my trust in God and you my brethren. My faith is unshaken in the works of Brother Whellock when he said that Brigham taught that all who would have faith to start, having one coat and a crust of bread, would be blessed by the Lord having no selfish motto in them. I have got a coat and a good brother has said that if I go he will give me another to keep me warm on the way. Now I am a foolish mortal by myself, therefore my own will is not what I want to do but the will of you through Brother Lyon to me. My mind is made up to do that which is commanded of me to do; therefore if I go it is well, and if I stop it is also well.

Dear Brother, I have faith in what I have written, therefore, if I am permitted to I shall know that this decision has been built upon a sure foundation. I am your humble Brother and obedient son in the gospel,
William Brighton

In answer to my letter I received the following:

5 January 1853
40 Charlotte Street
Glasgow, Scotland

Dear Brother Brighton:
I am in receipt of yours and I am much pleased with the spirit which it breathes. If it comes that you do not obtain your desire at this time, still continue to exercise faith as you have done and in due time you shall be delivered. I have much respect for you and your companionship, and faith that God will give you both power that you will be enabled to weather the storms of life and ultimately land in that haven of rest for which we all live and suffer in this world of probation. I will keep your letter as a memorial by which you will be remembered when we come to look for our emigrants.

Yours brotherly,
Robert Campbell.

I went on from time to time rejoicing in the work and teaching and presenting to the Saints till Conference when I went in and gave my report at the delegates meeting. I attended Conference on the third Wednesday, the 6th, attended the prayer meeting in Bishopbriggs and taught the Saints their duties. Saturday, the 9th, my wife and I entered into arrangements with each other to pay one-tenth of all my income as tithing.

  • Saturday the 23rd my pay was 2:5, with 4/3 to be paid as tithing. Sunday the 24th I attended the Church when John Allen spoke to the Saints for a short time after which I preached to the Saints. Friday the 29th, attended Council when I was appointed to be the Millennial Star agent for this Branch. John Morten was appointed to be treasurer for the Temple Fund. Saturday the 30th my pay was l/7/10, with 2/9 for tithing.
  • May the lst attended Church. We had a fast day in order that the Elders might have a greater power to preach the gospel and that they might have that influence with them that would draw around them the affection of the honest in heart. Tuesday the 3rd, I attended a meeting concerning getting up of a Flute Band which was moved by Brother Robert Campbell.
  • On Sunday the 26th our little daughter turned ill with sickness and on the 11th it was called smallpox. On the 8th it began to get better.
  • Sunday the 19th of June went to the Royal Infirmary to see Brother McDonald who had his leg broken in the pit on the 11th of June.
  • Tuesday the 12th of July I went to the funeral of Brother Gibson's child and in the evening I went and saw my father and mother-in-law who were about to sail for America.
  • Tuesday, August 16th, I received two letters, one from my mother stating that my sister Jean was very bad. The other from Lanark President with my sister Susan's line. Sunday the 28th of August I went to Glasgow in the morning and saw Brother McDonald and then went for the Stars. Wednesday 31st, worked all day with great pain attended the meeting but had to retire owing to pain. Thursday 1st September 1853 bedfast all day nearly. Friday 2nd bedfast all day very bad. Saturday 3rd in bed all day my pay was 1:15 with 3/6 that I paid for tithing. Sunday 4th, no better Monday 5th, Tuesday 6th no better in the evening. Wednesday 7th bedfast all day and so weak that I could scarcely lift my head. Tuesday the 8th a little better and was able to sit up in my bed a little and in the afternoon I wrote a letter to Brother Martin. Friday 9th was able to be up out of bed a little. Saturday 10th, I was able to get on my clothes and go out a little and I thanked and praised the Lord for his goodness and tenderness towards me.
  • Friday 16th attended counsel. Sunday 18th: No meeting owing to my wife in the way of having a child. About 12 o'clock she was delivered of a daughter and we had cause to rejoice in the goodness of the Lord to us. Tuesday 1st a teacher came that Brother Allen had engaged to teach us music and we had a band meeting. He gave us some introduction and dismissed a little after 9 o'clock. We gave him 8/. Monday attended a Band meeting. We gave the teacher 7/ and he slept in my house all night.
  • Thursday 3rd, my mother came and saw me. She returned to Glasgow the same night. Wednesday 9th, in the morning received a letter from Brother Campbell inviting me and my wife to his wedding on Monday night. Monday 14th, worked all day and in the evening went to a soiree where Brother Robert Campbell (Mary Stuart) was married and I rejoiced very much in an address delivered by S.W. Richards on the occasion.
  • Tuesday, 17th, worked all day and in the evening went and visited the Saints in Springburn and found them in good standing. November and December 1853 Saturday 10, 1853, went to Knightswood and saw the Saints there. Spent a good time with them. Brothers Geddes and Allan were with me. Returned home in the evening. Friday, December 16, visited saints in Springburn in company with Brother Gibson.
  • Friday, 23. In council meeting it was moved, seconded, and acted upon that Brother Bigson be raised from a Deacon to a Teacher and Brother Robert Anderson from a member to a Deacon and Brother John Gibson from a member to a Deacon. After attending conference meetings in Glasgow on Monday and Sunday, I went to Auchinairn and from that to Glasgow to the conference meetings again. Monday being the second day of the conference and I went to my brother-in-law's and stopped all night. Tuesday 3rd, in the morning me and my wife came home on the train to Bishopbriggs. Went to Auchinairn in the forenoon and spent a short time with the Saints, we then returned home.
  • Saturday, January 7, 1854. Went to the Theatre Royal with Brothers Patterson and Geddes. I came home about 1 or 2 o'clock on Sunday morning for which I felt grieved and I prayed my Father in Heaven that he may overlook my weakness and remember them not against me for I confess them at all times before him.
  • January, 1854. Thursday worked all day at home. Friday 13, 1854 worked all day and in the evening went to Auchinairn with my wife. We were there a short time among the Saints and my mother, then we returned home. Monday 23, 1854, went to Springfield in the morning got my tools and went to the Posiel and commenced to work there. February, Friday 19, 1854, working all day and lifted my tools to go to a pit nearer home in the evening.
  • Sunday, 16 April 1854, attended the Church meeting, a Fast Day for the purpose of the Elders getting more power to preach the gospel and for the Lord to open the hearts of the honest to receive the Word. The Saints had a happy time together. I had a conversation in the evening with my wife's cousin which was very agreeable. I went to Auchinairn to see brother Johnson's child which was very bad. I attended the ordinances to it. Then returned home.
  • Sunday, 4 June, 1854, in the morning I went to the Church meeting and I preached in the forenoon to the Saints and had a good time in the afternoon. In the evening I preached in Auchinairn on the coming forth of the Book of Mormon.
  • Tuesday, 11 July 1854, worked all day, at the home in the evening writing. Wednesday 12, July 1854 was very bad in the morning and was all right with pains in my inside. I vomited and continued poorly till Saturday when I and my wife and two children all went off to see my friends at Overtown and spent Sunday with them. Had some pleasant conversation with my two Uncles upon Joseph Smith's early life. On Monday morning I started for Lanark to see my sisters and grandmother and from there I went to Auchinairn to see my Aunt. After spending a short time with her and while returning to Lanark Briggtown, I met John Morrow who informed me that my house was broken up and all the clothing taken away. This made but little effect upon my things but was heavy upon my wife. We made haste to get a train, which we caught minutes before 12 o'clock at night and landed in Glasgow after l o'clock in the morning. We arrived home about 3 o'clock very weary and sleepy. When I examined the house I found it not so bad as we feared. On the 18th I drew up a list of all the things that had been taken away and handed it in to the police. On Friday, I got my pay which was 5/7/0, of which 10/9 was for tithing. On Tuesday morning the 18th I received a letter from Bro. William Geddes who is on his way for the Vales of Salt Lake. We gave much joy to hear of the welfare of the Camps of Israel on their way to Home. I soon expect to follow and be where they are.
  • Sunday, 20 August 1854 in the morning I went to Auchinairn to the Church meetings when I spoke to the Saints in the forenoon and had a good afternoon. In the evening we commenced a Sunday School. I also went to Kelvin Water in company with a few of the Brethren to baptize William Underwood. As Bro. Andrew Johnson baptized him, there were a few strangers standing by looking on. There was a man who asked me the reason that we immersed people in water. I told him it was because the Saviour said that unless a man be born of water and the spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of heaven; and also that Paul said we must be buried with Christ in baptism. He started to say things but I continued to speak for the sake of the people that were standing around. Arrived home about 10 o'clock at night, after spending a very happy day.
  • Sunday, 27 August 1854. In the morning I went to Kelvin Water with Janet Rennie to baptize her. Bros. Cain and Allan and Gibson were there with sisters Cain and Morrow and Johnston. That afternoon I addressed a few who were looking on for a short time. We all went from there to the Auchinairn Branch. It was a Fast Day so we had a good forenoon and at the close of the forenoon meetings Bro. Allan went out and preached on the street. Our meeting was small but we felt well. We then went back to our meeting place and had a good afternoon exhorting the Saints to faithfulness and to send all their children to school.
  • Monday, 28 August 1854. Working all day at home. In the evening writing. My daughter Mary is very bad at present but I trust that the Lord will soon relieve her from pain that she is suffering at present.
  • Friday, 1 September 1854. Elizabeth McDonald sent word that she wanted to be baptized. This was approved by the Council. It was a happy meeting. Sunday 3 September 1854. I started from home a little after 6 o'clock in the morning to go and baptize Elizabeth McDonald and to rebaptize Brother Samuel McKay. I went in company with Bros. Johnston and Gibson and Sister Shaw. I baptized them in Kelvin Water. Three were confirmed at afternoon meeting. The brethren and sisters were very lively. The Sabbath scholars met and read Matthew chapters 5-6-7. They also had spelling instruction after which I gave the young brethren and sisters a little advice. It was about 10 o'clock when I got home with my wife and two children. I was very tired. My daughter is getting better and I thank the Lord for it.
  • Saturday, 28 October 1854. Working all day. My pay was 3/5/11 which was 6/10 for tithing. This evening I received 3 from Bro. John Morrow and 3 from Brother John Cain and 4 from Bro. Peter Cain to assist me to assist me to go to America and I felt it to be an act of great kindness to me. I also received 10/ from Bro. Robert McKay which was an act of great kindness. I also received a new trunk from Bro. Thomas Crathers--I feel to pray that the Lord may reward these Brethren for their kindness. I went to Glasgow to see Bro. Martin but he was not in so I returned home in company with Bro. Gibson.
  • Monday, 30 October 1854. Not working. I went to Glasgow to transact a little business. I gave Bro. Edward Martin 10 for to assist to pay my passage. Saturday 4 November 1854. Went to Glasgow to see a doctor about my child Mary who is very weakly. He gave me some encouragement about her. He gave me some medicine and I then returned home.
  • Thursday, 9 November 1854. Working all day. This day I received my schedule from Liverpool so I filled up a part of it and sent it away to Liverpool. After I came home I spent some time writing my book.
  • Saturday, 11 November 1854. Working all day. My pay was 2/11/6 which was 5/2 due for tithing. This evening Brothers Allan and Crathers were searching my working tools and gave 1/16/8 for them. After that I went to Glasgow to see Brother Martin to settle my passage money. Then returned home.
  • Sunday, 12 November 1854. In the morning I went to meet Bro. Martin who was coming from Glasgow. I met him at Cobart Place and turned home with him to Auchinairn when he attended the Church meeting after I opened the meeting and spoke a little. Brother Martin then arose and spoke a little then he moved that Bro. John Allan be ordained an Elder and be set apart as President of the Branch. Bro. Anderson ordained by Bro. Crathers, and set him apart for the clerk of the Branch. The meeting then voted lines (a Church recommend) for me and my wife as being in good standing. The Gibson's lines were also approved in good standing. After I and President Allan made a few observations the meeting was closed.

After many, many meetings, prayers, gathering of the Saints, receipt of tithes, and most interesting missionary labors, what I recorded is a somewhat correct idea of the life of William Stuart Brighton in the land of Scotland.


Discovered in 1995--Church Archives Microfilm # MS4845

Brighton, William Stuart, 1829-1895
Diaries, 1854-1857
  • Sunday 12 Nov 1854 This day I was relieved of the Presidency of the Auchinairn Branch after holding it two years and nine months and fourteen days which time I had many happy days and also some hard times owing to my weakness and the operation of false brethren but yet through them all I have come and I thank the Lord for it all...and I now leave my brethren and sisters in the best of feeling and I trust they may be kept so forever. In the present I cannot express my feelings but pray that they may be preserved faithful to the end of their days which may God grant for Christ's sake amen.
  • Monday 13 Nov. 1854 In the morning I started for Cambusnethan to see Bro Morton. After seeing him I then went to Overtown to see my grandmother and uncles and aunts and I found them all very sorry at me going away. I only spent about one hour and a half with them and then went off to Lanark to see my sister Jean and my grandmother. I stopped all night with my grandmother and started from Lanark at 10 o clock a.m. and traveled to Overtown station where I took the train for Holytown and arrived at Brother Mortons again at about 1 o clock p.m. after spending a short time with Brother Morton. I and Mrs. Brighton and our two children then took our way for the Holytown station to go to Glasgow where we arrived about 5 oclock p.m. and I may say that in all my parting I was not affected so much with my friends as I was with the saints. I may say that I was sorry to part with none of my friends except my mother and a little sister who is not in a good way but yet it is for to learn my duties to parents and friends more fully that I go to Zion and I feel to be humble before the Lord so as that I may be able to stand all the things that comes before me as I am looking for many things to come before me that I am not accustomed to. I was in Glasgow all night in David Skholers, my brother-in-law. I started from his house at 10 o clock a.m. and then went off to Auchinairn on Wednesday morning. In the evening I attended the prayer meeting.
  • Thursday 16 Nov 1854 I was in and about Auchinairn all day.
  • Friday 17 Nov 1854 In the morning I went to Glasgow after a little business and in the evening I attended a social meeting that the saints got up upon my going away and we had a very happy meeting till eleven o clock at night when we began to get tired . After a little we parted for the last time. At present and I left all in the best of feelings and pray the Lord to bless them.
  • Saturday 18 Nov 1854 In the morning I and Bro Gibson and our families all started for Glasgow for to go off to Liverpool. We started from Glasgow at 12 o'clock noon. A great many of the saints came to Glasgow with us. We was sailing along very nice when we landed on shore opposite Dunbarton Castle where we lay about 9 hours. We started again at ten minutes before nine at night and we was all well the whole night when on Sunday morning we began to get very squeamish when we was in sight of Gritund. We was very low all day. We landed in Liverpool about 11 o clock p.m. wherein went on search of lodgings which we found in our Kennyes after which Brother Gibson and I went in search of the saints meeting place which we found and entered. We sat till it closed. We then went back to our lodgings and had a comfortable nights rest.
  • Monday 20 Nov. 1854 After breakfast I and Bro. Gibson went to the office to get our passenger tickets which we got. I sent a letter off to Bro Allen, the President of Auchinairn Branch. I then went off to see the vessel that we was to go with and after seeing it we then went back to our lodgings and had a good nights rest.
  • Tuesday 21 Nov 1854 After breakfast Bro Gibson's family and I went off to the ship. When we went we found that we could get on board so we went back and settled with our lodgings which was 13/ ? for two nights lodgings and one cut of ten. We then went and got our lodging on board and stopped on board all night
  • Wednesday 22 Nov 1854 The ship lay in the dock all day and I was out some times looking after little things. Slept on board all night. I sent away two letters, one to Bro. Cain and another to Bro Allan.
  • Thursday 23 Nov 1854 The vessel was expected to go out of the dock but it lay all day. Slept on board all night and there was a sentry walking all night watching the luggage belonging to the passengers.
  • Friday 24 Nov 1854 The vessel taken out of the dock and lay out in the river Mercis.
  • Saturday 25 Nov 1854 The vessel was expected to go but it lay all day.
  • Sunday 26 Nov 1854 The vessel is still laying in the river and I have wearied very much for the ship to start for to take us to Columbia's Shore and I feel to trust in the Lord for a safe passage across the ocean. Meetings were held in the evening.
  • Monday 27 Nov 1854 Our gallant ship started at 3 o clock p.m. for to go on its way in the evening. I and wife got very sick which continued all night. I wrote a letter to Bro Allan, President of the Auchinairn Branch.
  • Tuesday 28 Nov 1854 I and wife very sick and not able to get out of bed. The day was very stormy and the sea rough. We continued sick all night.
  • Wednesday 29 Nov 1854 In the morning I was informed that we was going back to Liverpool on account of the stormy weather. We was back at Liverpool about breakfast time and I and wife was still very sick and we had no bread to give our children which was one of the great trials that I have passed through but Bro Gibson was very kind in giving them a little. My child Janet said to Mary wait till the good man sends the baker and we will get loafs. These expressings caused my heart to feel that the spirit of the Lord was with us as a family. This day has continued very stormy and we are now 4 or 5 miles further back than I was when we started on Monday at 3 o clock p.m. We are well tonight and I feel to thank the Lord for it.
  • Thursday 30 Nov 1854 Our vessel was lingering for a far wind to carry us away.
  • Friday 1st December 1854 Still waiting for a fair wind this day. I sent of a letter to Bro Allan
  • Saturday, 2 Dec 1854 Still waiting on the wind changing.
  • Sunday, 3 Dec 1854 I am holding as a fast day so as that I may be strengthened to overcome my weakness and enjoy a greater portion of the Holy Spirit. In the afternoon we held meetings and also in the evening.
  • Monday, 4 Dec 1854 We was still waiting on a fair wind.
  • Tuesday, 5 Dec 1854 Still waiting on the wind changing. In the evening we held a meeting. When we was told that the saints on board was to hold tomorrow as a fast day so that the wind might change.
  • Wednesday, 6 Dec 1854 Held as a fast. We held meetings which was lively in the evening. I wrote letters to Bro. Morton and Bro. Cruthers and Bro Allan. The weather was very stormy and the wind right against us.
  • Thursday 7 Dec 1854 In the morning the wind was in our favor and we all looked for the captain coming every minute when about 10 o clock a tug steamer came for us and pulled us away after we was drawn down fast all the docks the Captain came in with a small boat and on we went. I then sent away my letters to the brethren before named. We got along very well till Friday morning when I and wife was sick and could do nothing for our children--on Sunday the 10th I got a little better and was able to go on deck but could eat no meat in course of the day. There was a child died and flung over board in the evening. The wind was calm and the water smooth when we all went to bed but through the night the wind arose very high and I was again bad with sickness and I nor wife was able to attend our children. If I may say that I was able to do nothing for them till Friday 15th when I was again able to keep out of bed all day. During my sickness I suffered much pain with a sore head. And my wife was so bad that she could not be out of bed til Monday 18 when she got up to the deck with my assistance but soon had to return to bed again. My children has been very badly for a few days with sickness and a burning skin when on Tuesday the 19th measles made appearance on Janet and is now doing very bad. I do not know as yet what is wrong with Mary only she is doing very bad. During my sickness there was 4 children and 2 women died. One woman died next berth to us with fever. I now feel thankful to God that I am again able to look after my wife and children--and though they are all badly yet I feel thankful that it is no worse than it is. I feel that the Lord will yet raise them from a sick bed and spare them to get to Zion--our Home which I long to see.
  • Tuesday 19 Dec 1854 Fine weather and a fair wind. My wife is again on deck with my assistance. My children is still doing very bad. This morning the ordinance was administered to my wife and children. The measles made their appearance on Mary this day and I was kept so busy attending my wife and children up to the 31 Dec 1854 that I could not take an observance of our travels.
  • At 1 o'clock on the 31st my child Mary departed this life and Brother Gibson's child, Elizabeth, died at 11 o'clock on the 29th. Both of the children were sewed up in a bag and let into the sea at 2 o'clock--a very little time after they died. I may say that no one could know my feelings upon that occasion except a father. When I looked on the little ones laid side by side and then sewed up in a bag to be put into the heart was pained to see them thrown in the sea, though I look forward to the day when the sea will give up its dead. My wife was very bad at the time and continued very bad and weak for the want of food. I went to the Captain and asked if he would sell a little food for a sick person and he said, "Why the Devil sir, I have no food for any one." So I came away from him a little sorrowful on account of the weakness of my wife...but she has got over it and is not getting strong again and my daughter Jennet (Janet) is now very well and I recognize in the goodness of the Lord to me and family while there has been a great deal of death on board the ship, and in my estimation a great deal of unbecoming conduct with a number of the people.
  • Wednesday, 10 January 1855 I and family are all well and rejoicing in the hopes of being in the River Mississippi today and in being in New Orleans tomorrow. I may say that we have had a speedy passage but one of suffering and sorrow owing to sickness. We had no meetings wherein we received instructions to cheer us up from neither the President nor his counselors which I thought strange--and more so Bro F. D. Richards said that every passenger would have three pounds of butter and two of cheese and when it was given out the butter was 160 pounds short and the cheese was a quarter a pound short to each adult which I thought was not acts of Bro Richards. One of those who was married on board was charged 1 lb. 1 schilling O pence by the authority of the President Hendre E. Philps. Bro Gibson who came with me has appeared very distant to me though well he knew me but yet with all I love him and family and I wish them well and I shall try to do good to all mankind which I know is a principle of Mormonism. There has been 22 deaths and 1 birth and 8 marriages on board the ship.
  • Thursday 11 Jan 1855 I and family got to New Orleans where we stayed over night. In the morning we got on board a steamer called Osihmann bound for St. Louis where we landed on the 21 or 22 of January 1855 with hard work to get through the ice. When we landed we found friends who took us by the hand and assisted us until I got work. I got work at Granois coal mines where I only stopped about 6 weeks. I then went to a place called Platten Creek or Yankee diggings, where I shared things before I got my family there owing to the rough country over which we had to travel. I hired two teams belonging to two Germans who was disagreeable all the way owing to the rough mounds. I paid them 20 for removing my family and for me and Thomas who was with me at the same place but who went by the river.
  • I left the Yankee family digging again about September and came back to Granois. After being there some time, I was appointed clerk for the ward, which I did faithful. Again in February 1857 Erastus Snow called and ordained me to the office of high priest. I started to go to Salt Lake on the 25th of May 1857. I and my family got on board a steamboat by the name of Edinburgh. We had a very unpleasant passage. We stuck several times on sand bars, and we had a bad set of deck hands. While we were stuck on a sand bar I was engaged to help unload the boat. The mate brought plenty of whiskey which the men partook of freely and which soon made them drunk. After we commenced to unload the boat, they began to impose on me by placing too much of a load on my shoulder, which I refused to take, but they still persisted. I then went to the mate and told him that I was going to stop for I would not kill myself for to please a set of drunk men, which some of the men heard, and as I went back one of them came at me with a club and struck me on the shoulders and then on the arm and lamed me right off. My arm was broken. During the night I thought if there was a devil that it was on board a steam boat with a drunk crew, for they were as mean a set of men as the Devil could let come from his domain. They were all Irish and Dutch.
  • When I got to Florence I thought I was delivered from Hell and the Devil. I with my family did praise the Lord for our deliverance. I remained in Florence a few days waiting for the saints coming from Iowa. I started from Florence on the 27th June 1857 to pull a hand cart a thousand miles with my wife and two children. I got along pretty well on the plains though it was with hard pulling but thanks be to the Lord who gave me strength to overcome it all and with my family and my sister, Ann, landed safe in Great Salt Lake City on the 11 September 1857 after traveling 12 weeks. When I came in I was kindly received by Bro William Geddes.
  • Will you remember February the 2nd 1861--Great Salt Lake City Utah, America. (?)
  • Monday, 24 June 1867
  • Daniel Hanmer Wells Brighton born on the 1st Jan 1864 Great Salt Lake City. Blessed by A. W. Ray
  • Robert A. Brighton baptized on the 19th of June 1865 by his Father. Confirmed on the 25th 1865 by Joseph E. Taylor in the 11th Ward Great Salt Lake City.
  • W. Henry Bow Brighton baptized on the 5th day of September 1867 Confirmed by his father W. S. Brighton.
  • Tuesday, 25 June 1867
  • Robert Alexander Brighton born on the 19th June 1855 in Jefferson County, State of Missouri, USA. Baptized on the 19th June 1865 by William S. Brighton his father. Confirmed on the 25th of June 1865 by Joseph E. Taylor in the 11th Ward school house Salt Lake City, Utah. Blessed on the 9th Sept. 1855 by W M. Louis.
  • William Henry Bow Brighton born on the 14th November 1857 Great Salt Lake City, Utah Territory USA. Blessed on the 7th January 1858 by John Van Coat 14th Ward Salt Lake City Baptized on the 5th of September 1867 Salt Lake City Confirmed by W S. Brighton his father in the 11th Ward Salt Lake City.
  • Thomas Bow Brighton born on the 11th of November 1860 in Great Salt Lake City Utah Territory. Blessed by Bishop Alexander McRae on the 6th of December 186? in the 11th Ward Salt Lake City. Baptized on the 4th June 1873 by W. S. Brighton his father in Salt Lake City. Confirmed on the 5th June 1873 by A. McRae.
  • Daniel Hanmer Wells Brighton born on the 1st January 1864. Blessed by Bishop Alexander McRae. Baptized on the 4th June 1873 by W. S. Brighton his father. Confirmed on the 5 June 1873 by Joseph Bean.